What we learned this week

• Thoughtful piece on how the US has never had to face up to its historical sins the way Germany has, and why Tarantino’s films may be smarter than you thought.

8 Comments on “What we learned this week”

1. DevonChap August 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Are you suggesting we hand the Falklands and Gibraltar over to Argentina and Spain against the wishes of their inhabitants?

• Jeremy August 18, 2013 at 8:56 am #

If you read my one sentence on the matter again, I think you’ll find recommending an article, not a solution for one of Britain’s thornier foreign policy dillemmas.

• DevonChap August 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

If you recommend an article it is not unreasonable to think you support the conclusions of the writer. I mearly ask if you do.

• Jeremy August 19, 2013 at 8:22 am #

If I’m advocating a particular view, I’ll say so. I appreciated Jenkins’ article because it is putting forward a point of view that is largely absent in the current media discussion. He also draws a comparison with Hong Kong that I hadn’t come across before.

To be honest, I have no idea what we ought to do about those places.

• DevonChap August 19, 2013 at 9:45 am #

That’s all I was asking so I didn’t understand the attitude. If you entitle a column ‘ What we learned this week’ then the implication is these are facts. Perhaps rather than spending so much time rubbishing the Express at journalism school they should teach clarity of language.

2. Chrissie August 18, 2013 at 11:10 am #

How can I get to read Tim Harford’s article without subscribing to the FT? Can’t see it on his website.

• Jeremy August 19, 2013 at 8:22 am #

If you log in to the FT website you can read a few articles a month for free.

3. Jeremy August 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

You’ve been reading the blog for long enough to know that this weekly links roundup, Devonchap. I’ve got to call it something.

And journalism school didn’t pick on the Express, that’s just me. They almost never singled out specific papers – journalism graduates have got to take jobs wherever they come up, after all.