Every town needs a remakery

The Edinburgh Remakery is a social enterprise that teaches repair. The shop sells refurbished computers and furniture, and hosts workshops where people can come along and learn how to repair their own things. There’s a big vision behind it: “we want to generate a repair revolution. This means changing the way people use and dispose of resources, encouraging manufacturers to build things to last and to be fixable, and making sure the facilities are in place to allow people to repair and reuse.”

The Remakery was founded by Sophie Unwin, after spending a year in Nepal. There she saw a culture of repair and stewardship that was absent in our own throwaway society – but it used to be there. Previous generations knew how to fix things. This generation just needs some re-skilling, access to the tools to do it, and some encouragement to give it a go. It’s a similar idea to the Restart Project, with the added benefits of a permanent centre, and proceeds from the shop help to fund the community engagement work.

These projects are important right now, because those repair skills are still out there in society, and they might not be for very long. Many repair businesses have gone already. Those that remain are often struggling. Since there is little demand for repair, there’s a shortage of younger people ready to step up when older repairers retire. I’ve seen this myself in Luton. When I moved here a few years ago, the High Town area had a tailor, a lawnmower repair shop and a TV repair shop. The first two have since retired and the shops have closed. The TV place was destroyed earlier this year when a car drove into it, and the owner can’t afford to fix it. The shop is boarded up, and there’s a mobile number on the door if you want your TV repaired.

This decline in repair facilities is repeated up and down the country, and it makes the throwaway culture self-reinforcing. Eventually we won’t be able repair things if we wanted to. There’s a window of opportunity for creating businesses like the Remakery, catching and passing on those repair skills before they’re gone.

Incidentally, it’s no accident that the Remakery has popped up in Scotland, as the country has an ambitious zero waste plan. It fits within a national plan to reduce waste, and has been able to access funding that wouldn’t be available elsewhere. But it is demonstrating a model, and if it succeeds in running without external funding (it’s gone from 50% to 80% self-funding over the last two years, so it’s well on its way) then there’s no reason why others couldn’t replicate it in other cities.

If anyone wants to bring it to Luton, we’ve got a couple of empty repair shops ready to go.

Tags: ,

32 Comments on “Every town needs a remakery”

1. penninerover March 15, 2017 at 6:59 pm #

There are quite a few ‘how to mend this item’ videos on You tube. These no doubt appeal most to those people who use their mobiles for everything. A very different concept but a movement not to be ignored.

• Jeremy Williams March 19, 2017 at 8:04 pm #

Yes, I’ve used Youtube videos to repair things myself. I’m very grateful for those who take the time to pass on their skills that way.

• Astrid McCormick March 21, 2017 at 8:58 pm #

Wow. this is fantastic. I feel I must dedicate more time for FIXING.

• Betty Adams March 21, 2017 at 4:37 pm #

I have a clock repair man that has been looking for someone to teach his trade to. No one is interested. He has priceless knowledge. He takes care of my grandfather clock When he goes I have no one to help and you sure would not want to throw your beautiful clock on the rubbish heap.

• SeaSea March 22, 2017 at 1:25 am #

• Jeremy Williams March 22, 2017 at 10:19 am #

Yes, I can imagine how recruiting an apprentice clock mender would be difficult. It takes years to learn, but isn’t particularly well paid and there’s less and less work as fewer people have mechanical clocks to maintain. It would be a very brave young person who embarked on that as a career.

Repair hubs like this would be good places for a clock mender to be based though. If we do get to a point where every town has one, we’d all have access to a network of expertise and we’d be able to keep those old clocks ticking.

2. daveyone1 March 15, 2017 at 10:34 pm #

Reblogged this on World4Justice : NOW! Lobby Forum..

3. unconventional wisdom March 18, 2017 at 10:22 am #

This is very close to my heart: I really think this needs to happen as the next big step in becoming more environmentally friendly and sustainable. I would love to see more repair shops, and think they should definitely attract funding and subsidies. Will tweet this from @OutsidetheboxUW

4. Annette Campbell March 19, 2017 at 12:14 pm #

Its good to see things like this , I and my partner have long been amazed at the throwaway culture that is today, We grew up in a world where if something got broken you automatically fixed it or you knew someone that could do it for you, it didn’t occur to us to throw it and buy a new one , as things were then made to last and were worth fixing . If those days are coming back , all the better , it can only be for the good .

5. Rude Record March 20, 2017 at 12:00 am #

Reblogged this on Rude Record and commented:
    Us RUDE Guys strongly agree with Sophie. And repair skills whilst appreciated by the minority are not embraced by the majority. Why repair when you can buy something new is what we hear most of the time. Oftentimes people have not thought out why repair is of value but when it is explained to them, a light usually goes on.

We are having our first repair event in our local town on the 8th April, 2017. You can find out more on our Facebook open group @menditmelton

6. James March 20, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

I have always reused materials, repaired furniture, fixed electrical appliances and more. A greal example would be throwing an old washer in the back of our Toyota hat hback, removing the drain cover, pulling out a child’s sock, replacing the cover and using my ‘new’ washer for years to come.

7. Carol webb March 20, 2017 at 12:51 pm #

Love this, would be great to incorporate with sewing & crafting as well ?

• Dee Moreci March 20, 2017 at 2:00 pm #

Oh I agree. I have always loved sewing. I have helped a few folks at work repair or redesign their favorite clothes. So satisfying.

8. Agy March 21, 2017 at 12:39 am #

This is great and I love how the idea came to her after a trip to Nepal! It’s funny how the developed nations always preach to the developing how to recycle and repair when the latter already have it engrained in their lifestyles.

• Jeremy Williams March 21, 2017 at 9:29 am #

Absolutely, being able to throw things away is a luxury that poorer countries don’t have. I was always very impressed by the repair skills I saw in Africa, especially since people didn’t have the full range of tools to work with.

9. Cyn McMillan March 21, 2017 at 2:16 am #

We need the whole concept of repairability. If it will help the Clifton location, I have a complete set of ‘Popular Mechanic’s’ published in 1956, 12 volumes total. I am not willing to give them up, but will consider loaning them to you. I still cannot believe some of the skills and designs explained in these books, and most of them have all but been forgotten. Maybe you could make a few copies to help with your teaching.

10. Thomas March 21, 2017 at 1:03 pm #

Thank you for posting. Inspirational!

11. David Randall March 22, 2017 at 1:23 am #

The idea is good but the consumer model, throw away mentality, is promoted supported by our government and capitalist society. The opportunity will come when the inevitable economic crash comes. The end is near.

• Jeremy Williams March 22, 2017 at 10:25 am #

Governments have been known to support repair as well. Sweden recently introduced tax breaks for repair. Japan has been supporting a repair culture since the early 90s. As I mentioned in the post, Scotland has a much more serious approach to waste than Britain’s central government, and the Remakery has some government funding. So it’s not inevitable, and we have some work to do lobbying the authorities to put this on the agenda.

12. Helun Ford March 22, 2017 at 9:03 am #

What a fantastic idea! It saddens me to see the throwaway culture in which we live. Would love to see this replicated on South Wales.

13. alan19csl March 22, 2017 at 9:16 am #

Brilliant idea!

14. Erica March 22, 2017 at 1:26 pm #

It’s been my dream to teach fixing. Kids have no one to learn from because adults don’t know anymore.

15. Carol Wellings March 22, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

Love it!!

16. Gary Mack March 23, 2017 at 10:12 am #

I love and support this concept. How can I start this in the U.S.?

17. Rebecca March 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

Brilliant!

18. Brian Blissett March 24, 2017 at 12:33 am #

Fabulous idea. The dumps are full of reusable stuff that need little or old repair & a lot of people out of work that I’m sure could use and/or repair stuff that could be used or sold but no one is allowed to “shop” in these places.

19. Susan Lorange March 24, 2017 at 8:06 am #

Got one just the same in Denmark. Employing refugees and people with minor disabilities I have a wonderfull shop and workspace. Please visit http://www.facebook.com/FUNDvarde to see more 🙂

20. Jim Foley March 24, 2017 at 11:23 am #

How does the self-funding work?
    Is it sales, or fees for lessons?

1. The world’s first mall for recycled goods | Make Wealth History - March 22, 2017

[…] week I wrote about the Edinburgh Remakery, and how they are trying to foster a culture of repair. It’s one of the most shared posts […]

2. Nerves, Remakeries, and a Very Cold Case – Cedar Writes - March 23, 2017

[…] I like the idea, very much. I think that everyone should know how to do things. I’m not sure this is a perfect solution, but it’s very interesting, and I want to find something like it for my kids to learn skills […]

3. The world’s first mall for recycled goods – DAMSLINK MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES - March 24, 2017

[…] week I wrote about the Edinburgh Remakery, and how they are trying to foster a culture of repair. It’s one of the most shared posts I’ve […]

4. The world’s first mall for recycled goods - March 25, 2017